Gearlink Kawasaki News

29 August 2018

A win at Thruxton

Round seven of the Dickies British Supersport Championship took place at the Thruxton Circuit in baking hot conditions. Ben Currie secured another fantastic win in the Sprint race and crashed out in race two. James Westmoreland was forced to retire in race one with a technical problem and came from the back of the grid in race two to finish fourth.

Ben had struggled throughout most of the practice and qualifying to find a set-up that suited the ultra-fast circuit in the very hot conditions. He qualified in seventh place for race one and after a steady start held his position after lap one. Thruxton always produces some amazingly close racing and this was no exception. He was soon swapping places with the front runners for the whole race. The slip stream effect worked in his favour enabling him to take another win for the team.

For race two he started from fifth on the grid and after a great start was soon into the lead. He was in a battle with two of the GP2 riders which soon became a seven bike scrap for the podium places. Unfortunately on the penultimate lap he tried to make a pass on the brakes with Kyle Ryde and both crashed out.

James had been consistently fast in every session qualifying in second place on the grid for race one. He got a fantastic start and led after the opening lap but was hit with electrical problems on the second lap and was forced to retire.

He had to start from the back of the grid for race two as his opening lap in race one was from a standing start and the time did not count. He got an incredible start and made up ten places in the opening lap and was soon hunting down the race leaders. He set some amazing lap times in joining the leading group and was looking set for a podium place when the race was red flagged. He rode an exceptional race to finish in fourth place just 0.8 sec off the lead.

In the Bennetts British Superbike class Fraser Rogers continued to make good progress. His lap times improved all weekend managing to qualify in 21st place finishing in 17th place in race one. For race two he again started from 21st place and was riding well but had to avoid a fallen rider putting a hole in his radiator forcing his retirement.

Team Manager Michael de Bidaph - "In the Supersport class Westy had the pace from the start of the weekend and looked capable of doing the double. He rode exceptionally well but unfortunately the bike let him down in the first race forcing him to start from the back in race two.  His form in the second race was incredible  to come through the pack in the way that he did and finish fourth. His lap times were fantastic and hopefully he can carry this on for the rest of the season.

Ben struggled to find the right set-up but did not give up and came out fighting in race one. He rode a mature race and fought to the end to take the win. He was looking strong again for race two but sadly made a mistake to crash out.

I'm really happy with Fraser's progress this weekend. The positions do not reflect the effort and hard work he continues to put in. This is only his third round and i am very sure there is more to come from him. He is a pleasure to work with and we hope he can get the results he deserves towards the end of the season.

I would like to say a big thank you to Stuart Higgs for the wonderfull tribute announced this weekend with the Norma de Bidaph Trophy. I know Norma will be saying " I can't believe they have done that for little old me" as she never regarded herself as anyone special"

Category: Racing News
Bookmark and Share
posted by The Team at 17:22 by E2E Solutions